Wizard of Oz

Last time I was at my parents’ home I went through the bookshelf in my pink childhood bedroom (I will never again admit I had a bright pink room as a child). Sitting there was a dusty copy of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I remember curling up in my parents’ bed with my brother when I was younger and listening to my mom read the story to us every night — it was a perfect bedtime ritual.

When my colleagues put up the newest titles on the First Book Marketplace this afternoon I saw the Wonderful Wizard of Oz was joining some of my other childhood favorites like Amelia Bedelia and Charlotte’s Web as options for programs to purchase. The First Book Marketplace is an online site where programs that serve children from low-income families can purchase books at incredibly reduced prices — we are trying to build a vast collection of titles no child should be without. Any recommendations from your childhood you think we should include?

Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twittershare on TumblrPin on Pinterest
Posted in Books & Reading
8 comments on “Wizard of Oz
  1. Jen W. says:

Please, Marketplace…. can we try to get “The Phantom Tollbooth?” I loooooooooved that book as a kid (and still do, as a semi-adult!)

2. Jen Robinson says:

You simply must have “Anne of Green Gables”. I think she holds up as well today as she did 100 years ago. And how about “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” or other books by Roald Dahl? Or the “Little House” books. So many great books, so little time! Keep up the excellent work!

3. Erika D. says:

I vote for “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” by Judi Barrett. I remember reading that book over and over when I was a kid. It was and still is hilariously smart and funny.

4. Cara Scaduto says:

I want to second Erika’s choice of “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” and add “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day”. That was one of my favorite books when I was little and every kid has a day like that…and adult for that matter!

5. Nicole T. says:

I agree with Cara, everybody can relate to poor Alexander and his very bad day. I recently purchased it for my sister because it was her favorite as a kid.

My personal favorite as a kid was a beautifully illustrated book called “The Maggie B.” It’s a warm, cozy story about a little girl who dreams about sailing on a boat named just for her. It’s extremely enchanting and imaginative. Thinking about it now brings back a lot of fond memories…I need to go call my mom!

6. Sheila S. says:

I was delighted to see the first of The Magic Tree House series available. While not from my childhood, I do credit the series with introducing my now 13 year old son to the joys of reading independently. I spent the summer between kingdergarten and first grade reading the series to him, and by the time second grade started he couldn’t wait for the next one to come out. I still suggest them to familes of reluctant readers as a great way to get started.

7. Zdena M says:

I was a huge fan of Tikki Tikki Tembo, Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, and My Side of the Mountain.

8. De R. says:

Believe it or not I could not stand to read as a child there was just too much to do outside..playing with bugs, climbing trees, well you get the picture. I think in about the second grade my teacher read “The Boxcar Children” aloud and I was hooked! Some other favorites are “Charlotte’s Web” and any of the little golden books. We still love any stories about astronauts and space around here too! (wonder why):)