Guest Blogger Rachael Walker is the Outreach Consultant for Reading Rockets, a national multimedia initiative which aims to inform and inspire parents, teachers, childcare providers, and others who touch the life of a child by providing comprehensive, accessible information on how to teach kids to read and help those who struggle. Rachael began her career in children’s literacy at Reading Is Fundamental (RIF), has also served as a consultant to the NEA’s Read Across America campaign, and was most recently the Executive Director of Reach Out and Read of Metro DC.
It’s also Read Across America Day, the National Education Association’s annual celebration for toddlers, teens and everyone in between to celebrate their literacy and language skills and the joys of reading.
Besides all the Seuss silliness, the thing that I really love about the day is that it is a day of reading for everyone. Though the National Education Association originated and sponsors the celebration, everyone is invited to be in the company of a child and a book.
Looking for some last minute ideas to celebrate the day?
- Send a Read Across America e-card from Reading Rockets to your favorite readers and get them excited about this special day of reading
- Have some reading and writing fun with Dr. Seuss and your local newspaper
- Make the day even more meaningful with Seuss and service to others
- Get cookin’ with these Green Eggs and Ham activities
- Find great books to read, share a story online, or visit Storyline Online to watch videos featuring Screen Actor’s Guild members reading children’s books aloud
So what are you waiting for?
Spread the word, share a book
Make this campaign succeed
Give a Seuss birthday present
Help a child to read!
*Title from the Read Across America poem by NEA’s Anita Merina